Several interesting quotes from Nuts! Southwest Airlines Crazy Recipe for Business and Personal Success:
- When people work really hard for something they believe in, a special bond inevitably develops between them.
- "Most companies fail in their growth because they don't have a vision." Howard Putnam, former Southest CEO.
- "Market share has nothing to do with profitability. Market share says we just want to be big; we don't care if we make money doing it. In order to get an additional 5 percent of the market, some companies increased their costs by 25 percent. That's really incongruous if profitability is your purpose." Herb Kelleher, former Southwest CEO
- "We'll train you on whatever it is you have to do, but the one thing Southwest cannot change in people is inherent attitudes." Kelleher
- Southwest was, in the words of Gary Barron, chief operations officer, "nimble, quick, and opportunistic." How did Southwest get that way? Whenever possible, Southwest flies in the face of bureaucracy: it stays lean, thinks small, keeps it simple."